Watching three kids, plus my two, is tiring to say the least. My kids will pretty much eat ANYTHING, but my 3 additions are extremely picky. Like, they eat ham sandwiches every day for lunch and they would live off plain hot dog wieners if I let them. I scoured recipes online for weeks looking for some kid-friendly, easy recipes and I came across this one from The Girl Who Ate Everything.
These babies were a HIT with all the kids (my 2, and the 3 that I nanny) and my husband. They were relatively quick to put together, only required 3 main ingredients, and they look so fun and yummy!! The key to making these look pretty is putting them in the freezer for 15 minutes after you assemble the log. Letting the dough firm up a bit helps keep the pinwheel shapes when you cut the log.
Make sure to lightly flour your work surface. Crescent roll dough gets sticky the longer it’s out in the open!
Roll out the crescent roll dough and seal the perforated edges as best as you can. (No matter how many times I tried the edges kept coming apart, but it still worked ok!!)
Spread mayo, mustard, or whatever else you want onto the dough. Then layer the deli sliced ham and cheese. (Add however much you want!)
This part was a little tricky. I had to roll a little on the left, then a little on the right, and then the middle. I did this a few times until it was completely rolled up. Try to make it as tight as you can!
After you let the log sit in the freezer for about 15 minutes, slice the log into 1/2-1 inch slices. Place on a lightly sprayed pan.
Bake at 350 deg for 12-15 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve with Ranch, Honey Mustard, or whatever your heart desires!!
And there you have it! Simple to make, quick to bake, and so good it’ll make your shoes quake! (haha-you see what I did there?) We ended up serving these with chips on the side, but feel free to serve these as an appetizer, snack, or dinner item. Let me know what you pair it with so I can try it!
Ham & Cheese Pinwheels
- 8 oz or 12 oz crescent rolls
- 4-6 slices deli ham, any flavor & preferably thicker than standard sandwich slices
- 1/2-1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- dipping sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 deg. Lightly flour work surface.
- Roll out crescent roll dough and seal perforated edges.
- Spread mayo, mustard, or any other condiment lightly across the dough from one end to the other.
- Layer the ham and cheese. Put however much you want on it, but don’t make it too thick or it won’t roll correctly!
- Starting from the long side, roll up the dough until you form a log shape. Place in the freezer for 10-15 minutes, until the dough is a little firm.
- Remove from freezer and cut dough every 1/2-1 inch to form the pinwheels. Place on lightly greased baking pan.
- Bake at 350 deg for 12-15 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve with Ranch, Honey Mustard, or anything else!
I really hope y’all enjoy these. We ate so many of them it isn’t even funny. My husband ended up going back for more and more and more (I made two batches). Each batch gave me between 15-18 pinwheels. It just depends on how thin or thick you want them. **Remember, the thicker the pinwheel, the longer time it will take to cook.** Although we didn’t have any leftovers I’m sure these will be good reheated the next day!